SPRING is finally right around the corner but before we can all begin to enjoy the warmer weather and all the great things that go along with the season’s change, it is always prudent to spend some time and take care of a little “Spring Cleaning” on your commercial property.
While statistically this past winter was average when measured for snowfall amounts and number of service events, it was most unusual in other ways that may have affected your property in a negative way.
The constant swing from cold to unseasonably warm temperatures throughout the winter and the high volume of freezing rain that fell, both stood out in what was otherwise an unexceptional snow season. Unfortunately, each of these circumstances may have produced hazardous conditions that can cause problems at your site.
1. Trip Hazards
Heaved or sunken sections of interlock paving, caused by our seasonal freeze-thaw cycle, can create a significant trip and fall hazard on your walkways and patio areas. A quick “lift & relay” repair of the affected section or area will not only improve the aesthetics of your property, but also make it much safer for pedestrian traffic.
2. Tree Damage
Damage to trees caused by excessive ice build-up during freezing rain storms should be examined, with dangerous or broken branches removed as a precaution. In addition, maintaining optimal tree health by regular pruning, dead-cutting and deep root fertilization will maximize tree health and lifespan, and minimize potential health & safety hazards.
3. Parking Lot Dirt and Debris
Power sweeping is a quick and efficient way to get rid of the unsightly dirt and debris that is inevitably produced by snow plowing and piling operations.
MPS COMMERCIAL SERVICES
MPS is proud to offer these and other additional services that can be used to improve the look and safety of your property. These services include:
- Power Sweeping / Washing – having your parking lot areas mechanically swept and washed is a greatway to remove unwanted dirt & debris which can be both an eyesore and attract weed growth, especially near snow piling locations.
- Annuals/Flower Planting – bright, colourful flowers can almost instantly beautify any property! Perennial plants, flowers & shrubs of all types can also be quickly installed by MPS crews to bring that “wow” factor to your site.
- Line Painting – having clearly marked parking spots and directional arrows can optimize your property’s traffic flow and organization.
- Top Dress & Seed – this process is a great way to promote a healthy lawn by reducing weed infestation and encouraging vigorous turf growth.
- Irrigation System Service & Repair – you can make your existing irrigation system more efficient and save water by having your timer and spring heads updated regularly and/or having a rain sensor installed.
- Vacant Lot Cutting – if you own or maintain a vacant lot that needs cutting just a few times per season let us know; we can easily take care of it for you!
Check Out This Commercial Project!
The installation of new gardens, retaining walls, interlock pavers, and armour stone steps have completely changed the look of this commercial property. Incorporated into the design of the patio were designated emergency walkways, outlined in darker interlock, leading from the emergency exits on the building. Not only is this design beautiful and updated, it serves a safety purpose! For more pictures of this newly completed commercial projected, click here!
ISO 9001 CERTIFICATION
MPS Property Services is very proud to announce that after a summer of hard work and implementation of many new processes, we have passed our internal and Stage 1 & 2 ISO audits; becoming only the second Canadian company in our industry to achieve ISO 9001 / SN 9001 Certification.
This internationally recognized Business Management credential identifies MPS as an organization that meets the procedures, policies and requirements of ISO Quality Management, with specific written standards related to the Snow & Ice Management industry.
This exciting certification is an important step in allowing MPS Property Services to continue to improve our customer satisfaction and overall quality of our operations.
We look forward to implementing our new systems and procedures this winter!
PURCHASING SNOW & ICE MANAGEMENT SERVICES
Hiring a professional, reliable and experienced Snow & Ice contractor is a very important step in protecting your business throughout the winter season. Your level of risk will increase greatly if you hire a service provider without adequate insurance, reliable equipment, skilled workers, accurate documentation or experience under the worst conditions that winter can throw at us.
A good Snow & Ice contractor will always be able to provide and sign a contract that carefully defines the desired level of service, engineered site maps, work logs, and be easily accessible throughout any winter snow event.
Some of the most important things to look for when selecting a winter service provider include:
- Safety, liability and risk management
- Estimating, planning and cost effectiveness
- Timely execution and responsiveness of services
- Quality and reliability of service
- Detailed documentation, verified service and ease of communication
- 24/7 emergency response
- Expertise and professionalism
- Certifications (Certified Snow Professional, etc.), best practices and standards of education
It is reasonable for you to expect your winter service provider to be able to provide all of the items detailed above with reliability and in a professional manner.
MPS Property Services Ltd. is proud to be a long-time leader in the Snow & Ice Industry; with continual improvement, ongoing education and industry best practices at the forefront of our operations. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns that you may have.
FALL CLEANUP CHECKLIST
- Aerate the lawn- as the temperatures start to decrease the grass will slow down, however moist soil encourages strong root development.
- Fertilizer- high phosphorus mix around 12-25-12 will encourage root growth, meaning you’ll have a greener lawn in the early spring.
- Final Mow- on the last cut of the season, trim down to 1 ¼ inches. Shorter grass in the fall prevents debris from getting caught and slows disease growth.
- Collect leaves
- Plant shrubs- planting shrubs in the fall gives them a head start.
- Plant spring bulbs- such as tulips, daffodils…
- Trim dead limbs
- Cut back perennials
- Mulch young plants- Mulch adds insulation and protection from frost damage.
- Dry out irrigation drip system- put hose and other garden tools away.
The days are getting shorter and the kids have headed back to school, it can only mean that fall is upon us! The change in seasons always brings an air of excitement, new decor, recipes, and flowers in the garden.
Here in the office we have been busy hiring fall staff to replace the students who have left for school, as well as getting prepared for the winter season. To celebrate the summer employees, we held the first MPS BBQ. It was a great afternoon and allowed our employees to socialize with managers and office staff in a relaxed setting.
Summer is here and so is the heat! In southern Ontario we had the driest June in over 25 years and July has kicked off with week-long heatwaves. If the long range forecasts are correct we are headed for a hot & dry summer. So, in this issue we’ve included some tips on staying cool this summer! Here at MPS we are also embracing the heat and modifying our work to keep our employees working safely.
In other news, MPS has had a very busy and productive spring. Our construction crews have completed their first major projects of the summer and are moving right along. The Grounds Maintenance crews had a busy spring, and are settling into a normal schedule as the grass is slowing down. In the office we have added two new staff members, Matt Raguseo as Sales Associate and Jenna Monk as HR Coordinator and Multi-Media Outreach. In June, MPS staff attended the 19th Annual Snow & Ice Management Symposium in Providence, Rhode Island. MPS received its 9th consecutive Snow Safety Awards and had the opportunity to meet, network and learn from the leading contractors and suppliers in the industry.
SIMA SAFETY AWARD
The Snow & Ice Management Association (SIMA) is a North American trade association for snow & ice industry professionals.
Their Annual Safety Award is given to companies who promote safe and effective snow and ice removal procedures. This award is presented to the professionals who maintained exceptional safety standards to help protect their employees, clients, and the public during the snow season.
MPS Property Services takes great pride in being a leader & innovator in the snow & ice industry, and has always emphasized Health & Safety as of primary importance in our winter season operations.
We are very happy to announce that MPS Property Services was a recipient of the 2015-2016 SIMA Safety Award. This marks the 9th consecutive year that we have been presented this prestigious award.
A commitment to Health & Safety is an essential part of how we provide property services to you; it is a key component of the culture and values that drive us to improve and succeed. We would like to thank each and every one of our winter team members for helping us achieve safety success.
Health & Safety | Training Manager
PROBLEM SOLUTION – TRAFFIC CONTROL
With liability and compliance issues becoming more and more a focal point in today’s business climate, making simple improvements or repairs before potential hazards get out of control is always a prudent strategy. Traffic can be just as dangerous in a parking lot as it is on a busy town or city street. MPS Property Services can help you develop control measures that can be easily implemented to keep lots safe for your staff, visitors and clients. These include the following measures:
- Line Painting – having clearly marked parking spots and directional arrows can optimize your property’s traffic flow and organization
- Parking lot signage – directional indicators, speed limit posting and other cautionary signs can greatly reduce parking lot driving hazards
- Pedestrian crossing markers – whether with signage or line painting, this is an effective way to highlight busy pedestrian crossings and reduce the risk to pedestrians on your property when traversing high traffic areas
Operation Manager | Grounds Maintenance
Joe is the Grounds Maintenance division’s Operations Manager, overseeing the equipping and supervision of his assigned staff. Joe has the important role of rallying all of his workers in the morning and supervising their work throughout the day. The staff enjoys Joe’s humor in the morning, whether they are laughing with him or at him (usually due to a coffee overload). Joe has worked at MPS since 2001 and really appreciates working with the management team at the company. As one of our most senior staff, Joe knows the ins and outs of the industry. Not only does he manage and supervise his staff, he is very knowledgeable about the tools and equipment. In his spare time, Joe likes to relax by going to the movies, hiking or spending time with his dog Sawyer.
Spring Has Sprung!
Hello! We are excited to be sending our first MPS Property Services digital Newsletter. As part of our company’s growth we have recognized that digital outreach is an important way to keep in contact with our customers.