Why are succulents so trendy?
Succulents are one of the trendiest accent pieces for your home, garden or planter. These ornamental plants have been showcased by interior designers and stylists, in dozens of Home & Garden magazines recently, making them of the hippest plants to own.
Succulents have been around forever; so why are they so popular all of a sudden, and what are they?
What is a succulent?
Succulent plants are sometimes known as drought resistant plants, perfect for arid climates or soil conditions, since they retain water to survive unfavorable weather periods.
Succulents are plants that store water in their leaves and stems, giving them a strikingly unique appearance, with unusually thickened and fleshy structures.
As an outdoor plant, succulents require hot temperatures and low precipitation. Therefore, the Canadian climate is not ideal. However, they are great as ornamental house plants because they thrive in a range of indoor conditions. Succulents are very adaptable and hard to kill if they are potted properly.
Top 10 Reasons to Love Succulents
- Succulents are perfect for the forgetful gardener, since they require less watering
- They are ornamental plants with a striking and unusual appearance
- They come in a variety of sizes, shapes and colours
- They attract fewer pests due to their thick, waxy leaves and lack of water
- It’s very difficult for them to become overgrown
- Nearly indestructible
- You can grow more succulents from their cuttings
- Gravity doesn’t affect them, so they can be used to create plant walls
- Succulents can be used in hanging arrangements
- They’re inexpensive!
Fun Fact: Almost all cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti
For more on succulents, check out these creative DIY succulent Terrariums!
– Jenna Monk