With the holidays behind us, January is the time for saving, planning and goal setting for the year ahead. Although warmer days seem distant, this is actually the perfect time of year to start planning for your landscape construction projects, without spending a dime! We even wrote a blog about all the benefits of designing in the winter, and building in the spring. The best way to start planning for your landscape construction project is to create a vision board!
What is a vision board?
A vision board is a tool used to help clarify, concentrate and maintain focus on a specific life goal. Literally, a vision board is any sort of board on which you display images that represent whatever you want to focus on achieving in your life. A landscape vision board would be comprised of landscape images that you like and want to implement in your landscape construction design & build project. Your board might even have brochures or business cards from specific landscape construction companies in your area.
How do vision boards work?
A landscape vision board helps you identify the specific details of your dream landscape design and then helps direct you in that direction in order to acquire it. When you create a vision board and place it in a space where you see it often, you essentially end up doing short visualization exercises throughout the day. Visualization is a way of tapping into the power of the mind so that you can train your brain to help you achieve and acquire what is on your board. Whether you believe that or not, it is known that visualizations work and have been used to improve performance for decades. Performing visualizations day-to-day trains your body for that reality, making conscious and subconscious decisions to get to your goal- in this case your dream landscape!
So now that we understand how vision boards work, how do you create a landscape vision board?
- A good start is to close your eyes, picture yourself in the landscape of your dreams, and experience how you feel. That works best when you have details in mind, lots of them
- Are you envisioning a backyard or front yard landscape?
- How big is the landscaped area?
- What elements does your landscape have? (stonework, decking, gardens, water features)
- What do you see yourself doing back there?
- What is the feeling your landscape gives you?
- Gather your supplies (a board, glue, magazines, etc…)
- Take time to really think about what your perfect landscape looks and feels like
- Find your images + words. … landscape magazines, brochures, business cards, pictures
- Put your vision board somewhere that you can see it. …
- Write a “make it real” list. …
So, what’s the big secret to creating a vision board that works? It’s simple: Your vision board should focus on how you want to feel, not just on things that you want. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great to include the material stuff, too. However, the more your board focuses on how you want to feel, the more it will come to life.
When you’re ready to turn your vision board into the landscape area of your dreams, get in contact with us. One of our designers will help transform your vision board into a landscape design & build project that our landscape construction team can build for you.