Many homeowners increase their property value by renovating their kitchens and bathrooms, but did you know that landscaping has a similar return on investment? Of course, landscaping increases property value. Who hasn’t heard about the value of curb appeal? A strong first impression to potential buyers is key to selling your home, and landscaping is a great way to make a terrific first and lasting impression! Landscaping is truly an investment in your home.
Even if you’re not looking to sell your home in the near future, investing in your home’s landscape, will pay off if you decide to sell your home down the road. Investing in your landscaping now allows you to enjoy the immediate rewards of a beautiful property and as your plants and trees mature their values grows too.
A professionally landscaped property can increase a home’s value by 15-25%! A well landscaped home will generally sell faster by presenting a better first impression to potential home-buyers. Since professional landscaping is not cheap, it should be thought of as a long-term investment. Done properly, your landscaping should last many years and as your plants grow and trees mature, your home’s value grows too.
Here are our best tips for increasing your homes resale value by investing in landscaping:
1. Hire a professional: A professional landscape designer is worth the investment! Professional landscape designers, like ourselves, will suggest specific design elements which will help maximize the enjoyment and value of your property, and allow you to make the most of your outdoor living space. At MPS our expertise of local bylaws and local climate/seasonal patterns allows us to design a landscape project that speaks to your specific needs, whether functional or aesthetic. The installation of landscaping should also be left to the professionals to ensure proper construction and years of enjoyment.
2. Invest in Trees: According Landscape Ontario, trees can enhance your property’s value from anywhere between 5-20%. Proper placement and planting of trees and plants will only add more value as they grow and mature. Furthermore, planting trees for optimal shade conditions on your property will help improve your energy bills in the summer and overall home efficiency!
3. Add Lighting: Landscape lighting is a terrific feature that not only looks good, but increases your home’s security and can help bump up your home’s resale value! Investing in landscape lighting will let you enjoy your outdoor space in the day and night!
4. Decks & Patios: Patios and decks have a 10-20% return on investment by creating additional outdoor living space for your home. Patios offer a slightly higher return than traditional wood decks due to their low maintenance and longer lifespan. However, there are new composite decking options which boast comparable returns to interlock patios.
5. Curb Appeal: Pay attention to your home’s look from the end of your driveway or the road. It will make the strongest impression on anyone coming to view your home. Planters, stone, colour, and texture can work together to create the curb appeal you’re looking for!
If you need some professional landscape advice to increase your homes resale value, get in touch with one of our designers today!